5.04.2010

derby 2010... the final installment


For Derek's last [big gulp...sniff...sob] Pinewood Derby he decided he wanted to build the space shuttle Discovery



Both Mark and I feel very strongly about remaining true to what the [derby] is all about - the boys need to design and build their own cars - by themselves... we helped when needed, however -- this is his project... [we're super proud of D for being a great engineer when it comes to bulding his own cars -- it's so discouraging to then go to the Derby when other kid-dos have had LOTS of help with their cars and ARG to all those cars that come to the race polished and perfect and speed down the track -- the father's should have their own derby!  Yes, I have Pinewood Derby issues!]



and here it is the Space Shuttle Discovery Derby Car...

 some highlights from the races -- D's car took second in a few races - best he's ever done -- and his car got the award for [most likely to blast off] -- nice job, bud!



1 comment:

Marisa said...

I totally agree with you, Trey did a Logo car (the turquoise one in the back right in your picture) and he did it all by himself and lost miserably but said afterwards he should make it more aerodynamic next year... I didn't have to say anything. I suggested he paint it with a clear gloss and even downloaded a Lego font he could use to make it look just like the real thing but he declined so I had to just bite my tongue and let him do it his way. I took great pride in doing my school projects by myself and I definitely want my kids to learn the same thing!!! Glad to see I have company :)